POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alien Cliff...again [~150kB] : Re: EUREKA! Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EUREKA!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 6 Feb 2006 04:30:00
Message: <web.43e716af435fc922731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:
> You know what? I did some testing indeed..... render time dropped
> vertiginously!! I am seriously thinking not to implement that item... :-(

It's interesting that there's a whole range of scene planning / modelling
skills that have no impact at all on the final image but can make the
rendering time feasible as opposed to prohibitive. It's always worth trying
for speed. That's why I'm building my knots out of meshes - I tried it as a
sphere_sweep originally and it took hours - at the moment 35,000 meshes
only take 35 minutes (that's with area lights and at 1024x768).

That said, patience is a virtue when the chips are down. Like Stefan, I
often leave renders running for 100s of hours, usually on my office PC
overnight or at weekends.

Keep up your productive patience!
Bill